Yes, the answer is yes!
But what makes them even creepier in Guatemala....they are totally out of context. No heads up, no bracing yourself...they are just hanging out in your everyday life!
This is nuts, right?!?!? Not me just thinking this is nuts?!?!?
For example, apparently you make more money pan handling if you are dressed up like a clown. And get this, even more money if you dress your kid up like one too. I swear I am not making this up. And there is nothing that makes me double check the locks and windows more than a clown working the lines of cars stuck in traffic in the middle of the day. I mean who comes up with this stuff and where do they get their outfits?!?!?
But even worse, people actually think this is cute or something...and they give them money! I have witnessed it! They actually roll down their windows and give these crazy, scary, freaky people money. And they like the little mini me clown even more. How wrong is this?!?!?! (I cannot even tell you how creeped out I am just even retelling this story. It is weird!)
But...it gets better. Local businesses like to hire them! Mimes in normal restuarants. So there you are, grabbing lunch with your friends at what appears to be a normal ceviche restaurant, when all of a sudden a weird mime pops up at your table. I mean this isn't Chucky Cheese or whatever those places are called where you expect there to be bizarre costumed entertainment tableside...this is a little cafe that sells fish. And mid bite you have a silent creepy dude really close to your face trying to be funny. Not funny! And then he makes you wear his creepy gloves that are really sweaty and play along with his stupid games. I cannot think of a worse way to spend lunch. And of course I tried to run away, but he wouldn't leave me alone until I wore his gross gloves. So...I took one for the team, played nice with the creepy clown...so we could all eat in peace.

I am still traumatized by it. And of course I will never go back to this place, but it makes me nervous. What other seemingly normal place will hire weird clown folk to liven up the place? And honestly, I think I was the only person that thought this was weird. This is not entertainment Guatemala....clowns, not where they belong, like at the circus or little kids' balloon animal birthday parties, are super creepy. (They are even creepy in the places they belong, but at least you have the chance to mentally prepare yourself!)
And of course, I now have one more thing I have to watch out for in the road. Strange clown people. Where are we?!?!?
OMG I can't believe you put the sweaty gloves on!! As always, your stories are very entertaining and I laugh out loud at my desk and everyone can hear me!
ReplyDeleteI agree, as far as clowns go, mimes are in a creepy leage of their own.
ReplyDeleteI love your stories!
focus on the ceviche, focus on the ceviche
ReplyDelete