Monday, April 26, 2010

The Dolly Mamma Returns to Guatemala

Some 30 plus years later Dolly has returned to Guatemala...but this time around no camping at the base of rumbling volcanoes, no hostels, and no hippies...we only roll 5 star these days! (Which is as you can guess quite easy when you live in a third world country!)

Obviously my mom is the coolest and it was beyond wonderful to spend the week with her, and more importantly, show her our life here. A little different than she remembers and now she can now rest a bit easier…those travel warnings put out by the State Department, of course important, but by no means make anyone feel good, especially moms!

Per usual, we had the best time. I won't rub in all the fabulous details, but we did spend the week attending swanky parties at the Ambassador's residence, lounging poolside, ordering room service, and drinking wine in the middle of the day...obvioulsy a very rough week (poor Craig had to work the whole time)....but don't forget this is Guatemala and me on the open road we are talking about...so there were obviously a few close calls, accompanied by some colorful language, getting to and from our lady of leisure activities…

You see, the Passarelle family lacks that sense of direction gene -- we are all challenged, and leave it to the two of us, we are hopeless. Aimlessly driving for hours on cobblestone streets in the mountains looking for that resort nestled in between the volcanoes....because of course we chose to stay at the hardest place to find. And forget asking for directions....well that is only half true...I know how to ask, I just don't understand what they are saying when they respond. So that was a fun exercise....who looks like the safest person to ask, then smile and nod as they talk because you have no idea what they are saying, all while my mom talks to them in English like that is the normal thing to do, amazing. We are just missing the third stooge! We even went so far as to ask the traffic officer with the sawed off shotgun for help...sorry mom, at the moment right before I asked it seemed like a good idea! No one wants to be that close to a machine gun, no one!

But somehow we made it, and to every destination I am happy to report. I of course will not admit how many hours it took us to get to each place (at least double the amount of the time it should have) or how many tanks of gas we went through or how many granola bars we ate in the car because I refused to stop...but you can see from the pictures below we had a fabulous time, in matching hats, of course!

I miss you already mom! xoxoxo


2 comments:

  1. Oh how FUN! You are so blessed that your Mom came to post to visit you!

    I dearly love my Mom and she's a great person... but there's a 0% chance that she would EVER visit me ANYWHERE, no matter where we got posted... so how fortunate and blessed you are to have an adventurous Mom! Cute pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome!! The memories you made on your "lost" trips will be something to laugh about for years. So glad your mom was able to visit you.

    ReplyDelete