Thursday, August 5, 2010

Back in the US of A...

I love Guatemala and I love our life here in Guatemala, but when our trip home was approaching, I could not get out fast enough. I finally let myself put down my guard and the madness of the Guate became just a bit much to handle...

I cannot explain the feeling of relief I felt when I landed at my connection -- which I am totally embarrassed to admit -- this is our life and I am tougher than that, but after 8 months in a totally foreign environment and in uncharted waters, I was happy to be back in the States. The Houston airport no less, but fine by me. For the first time in a long time I had a feeling of anonymity. Nobody was staring at me --- I wasn't the one out of place. And finally being able to understand every word around me, incredible! (I guess I really am not as tough as I like to think...I live in Guatemala, not some remote African village! But still...great to be back...)


And even better...our trip by some miracle overlapped with a few of my most favorite friends that no longer live in Oregon, a wedding that included our best DC friends, reunions with old, old friends, a visit from my grandparents, and my mom's birthday!



And if that is not enough...Oregon alone is a never ending source of entertainment. So gorgeous and SO eccentric. I don't know how I forgot this, but hands down the best place for people watching...



So, to recap our trip in one word: perfect!

To recap it in a few:
Sun River, Clyde Common, lots of microbrews, lots of Pinot Noir, Le Pigeon, Deschutes River rafting (and a few bruises), Nordstrom Anniversary Sale (don't judge me!) , the coast (and an unsuccessful attempt at stealing a starfish), real bacon, the Good Foot (still my favorite), break dancers, Low Brau, Portland weirdos, Frouters, Stumptown, Voo Doo Doughnuts (Is it just me? I don't get it -- they are just doughnuts...), Chocos (so Oregon), Blue Plate, marion berries, fresh oysters, Kornblat's, farmers markets, blueberry picking, Sauvie's Island, so many hipsters, Mt. Hood, Portland Beavers, and mullets! Such a good time!


(Not to mention being able to walk around chatting on my cell phone without the fear of being robbed...)

And sadly, now back to reality...but after our little break, totally glutenous eating, and outrageous shopping binge, we are ready to be back.


And funny, the madness of Guate somehow feels charming again! (And I sort of like not knowing what everybody is saying around me...I would rather make it up in my head....)


P.S. So sorry for the long delay in posts!

P.P.S. The rainy season appears to be coming to an end -- come visit! (Amanda we are SO excited for your trip out here!)

P.P.P.S. We find out in September where in the world we will be headed next....

2 comments:

  1. T - muchas gracias!! i missed your humor - love the pics - am so thrilled you had such a wonderful trip and are now back safely - chat soon? xo, M

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel very sure I saw something in there about the Goodfoot and break dancing. Whit and I still tell that story. It still makes me giggle. I still hear Beast of Burden and think of you!!!
    Those were the days: too much drink, too much dancing, too little sleep and we still took Oregon politics by storm....

    ReplyDelete