I wish I had pics to go along with this post, but no time for snapping photos, all focus needs to be on the road at all times!
First off, the biggest problem is not the other drivers on the road, despite the fact that they make up their own lanes, merge even if there is no room or place for them, turn left from the far right lane, and drive at warp speeds. Amazingly it is the pedestrians that freak me out the most!
Unlike in the states, pedestrians do not have the right of way, nor are there crosswalks or stop lights to lend some assistance. They have to fend for themselves and find any way to get themselves across the street, highway or underpass. As a result, every time you are on the road you are trying to avoid people darting in and out of traffic, making a run for it at any place and at any chance they can get. And I am not just talking about young thrill seekers looking for an adrenaline rush, we are dealing with old people, young people, folks wrapped up in traditional weavings, pregnant ladies, people with missing limbs on skateboards (I wish I was making this up!) -- we have seen it all and it is terrifying! Imagine, old ladies scuffling across four lanes of traffic, right in front of you, you can't brake, you can't change lanes, all you can do is veer slightly and hope for the best! OMG! It makes me cringe just to write this.
But it gets better. Aside from trying not to hit the runaway pedestrians, at the same time you are trying not to hit the vendors and beggars who are standing in between the lanes of traffic, right in the middle of all the cars! I swear I sweat every time I get in the car, I am so scared I am going to accidently clip someone! And the best part, they are selling the weirdest crap. Back scratchers, phone cards, air fresheners, plantains, bootleg DVD's, globes, neon orange hampers, Wendy's coupons, it is totally bizarre. I am still working on my Spanish, but hope to learn soon: "Out of my way! I am totally terrified for your life, I don't want your crap and I need to get over so I can exit!"
One thing however that is working on our side is the size of our car. The unwritten law of the road out here is that the bigger car always wins. So thankfully we tower over most , so without too much trouble other cars get out of our way, for times when the lane all of sudden ends without warning, or when a bus stops, not at a bus stop, just randomly in the middle lane to pick up a crazy person that ran out in front you.
Needless to say each day is an adventure and I am hoping to get really strong arm muscles from death gripping the steering wheel!
OMG Im seriously at the U of R, at my desk, laughing out loud! Even better in writing, then when you told me the story on Skype the other night...HAHAHA! Got the whitelight on you for your driving adventures!
ReplyDeleteHoly cow, I'm stressed out just from reading that. I can only imagine how you feel!! Good luck.
ReplyDelete