But first, rewind -- the whole reason we were even on this little adventure to see furry creatures was because we were trying to be the best hosts ever to our very first guest! Garrett, you will always hold a special place in our hearts!
Our adventure started off a bit slow -- we were held hostage in our house with the painters who said they would be done by noon -- but not to despair -- we broke out the champagne! ("Gringos, we knew it -- they sit around and drink champagne and eat cheese all day long." Not that I can speak Spanish, but I know this is what they were thinking!)
But day 2 we picked up the pace and hit the road! A little comical seeing as Craig and I have never navigated outside the city, but amazingly we found our way....after a few wrong turns!
First stop -- some ancient Mayan ruins! These are tiny in comparison to what we will one day see at Tikal, but still, so OLD and incredibly sophisticated. And what still blows my mind is that there are NO rules, people were pushing their baby strollers over the ruins, baby strollers! Incredible.
(Apparently I am no better -- I couldn't help but climb all over the ruins as well! And I know this picture doesn't look like much -- but this is the platform where the HUMAN sacrifices took place. Yes, human. And I don't know what is creepier, the sacrifices or me deciding it is okay to sit right there and pose for a picture?!?!?!)
Second stop -- Lake Atitlan! This place is unbelievable, absolutely majestic, totally takes your breath away. You come around the bend and then all of sudden, there is the lake, huge, in an old volcano crater! Surrounded by other volcanoes -- it is absolutely stunning. And you can see instantly why all the hippies never left! It is hysterical -- a town teeming with middle aged hippies. (Mom, maybe some old friends?!?!?) (And Maybe Lake Atitlan is a bit like Crater Lake, but as Craig likes to tease me, I wouldn't know, because I have never been! I know, such a disgrace, how can I call myself an Oregonian?!??!)
Third stop -- Nature reserve, and yes, the MONKEYS! Poor Garrett, I don't think he was even interested in this stop, but I heard you could see little animals, so I added it to the agenda! And not to be disappointed, two seconds in and there we were, face to face with some critters. These guys have obviously spent a little too much time around humans. They hung out, just feet away, bananas in each hand and tail, it was fabulous! And yes, as soon as we saw them I did let out quite a loud squeal of delight, just like a small child!
(This guy really liked Craig!)
(Monkey Whisperer!)
Along with the furry animals, we found our selves in the middle of a jungle -- waterfalls, scary rope bridges, coffee beans, exotic plants, and all. Guatemala is amazing!
(Coffee Beans!)
Next visit here -- zip-lining!
How awesome!! I think Mayan Ruins are the best. What an adventure.
ReplyDelete