Thursday, March 11, 2010

Smart Casual...

I have no idea what this means, but per usual, my interpretation was clearly wrong! Why wouldn't you wear a cute preppy dress with matching little flats to hike through rock canyons, forge rivers, climb over large boulders, cut through open dusty fields, and stand in the middle of burning wastelands? Next time I will know.


We got the rare opportunity to accompanying the Ambassador to a Mayan religious ceremony deep in the hills of Guatemala. Know as Waqxaqib' Bátz, or the day of 8 Monkey on the 270 day Mayan calendar...one of the most important religious days of thier year. (Who doesn't love monkeys?!?!?) In laymans terms -- day of burning everything you can get your hands on, try not to breathe the toxic black smoke, and enjoy the flute music!



It is very rare that outsiders get to witness and be a part of such an important and sacred ceremony -- we felt very honored to be there, but I am not going to lie, I thought I might pass out from the heat and smoke and I really wish I was wearing different shoes. Those poor things will never ever be the same. Also, I am pretty sure that I accidently flashed the Ambassador when I was trying to "gracefully"exit the security truck. Amazing! Certainly not the way I would like to be remembered.


But the highlight for sure was the two town drunks. One did a special little dance for us, a little too close for comfort, and the other yelled at us is Mayan. Needless to say, a little unerving as we sat on display in front of the entire town, but quite the entertainment.


Never a dull moment in this country, never!

1 comment: