Of course this confirms my suspicion that all the crazy pedestrians pushing trinkets and running carelessly through the busy streets -- really do get hit. And of course this freaks me out beyond words -- but the craziest part...it doesn't keep them out of the streets! They are still there, dangerously close, taunting me with their missing limbs, selling air fresheners and back scratchers. (Please, stay away from my large, moving vehicle, please!)
And I know this is so completely wrong, but I have to tell you about my favorite folks that have really have made a strong impression...
1) The guy panhandling with a little satchel made out of the other pant leg he would be using if he had two legs. He has attached it to a stick and sits in between lanes of traffic and taps on your window. Quite resourceful...but terrifying when you hear the tap before you see him!
2) The guy missing both legs who uses a skateboard to get around town. And I mean around town, I have seen this guy EVERYWHERE! He weaves in and out of lanes of traffic, going as fast as the cars at times. It is absolutely nuts and a wonder to witness. You sometimes just catch a glimpse out of the corner of your eye and it takes a second to register what is going on, but lately he has been sporting a reflective vest...thank god! That guy pops out of nowhere.
3) By far my favorite, the guy who built his own hand cranked cart. I don't know how the thing works, but this guy can turn on a dime and expertly weave through traffic like you could not even imagine. But do please try to imagine....it is CRAZY!
All of this is really so completely sad and horrifying, and the last thing I ever thought to encounter...daily! And I cannot get over the fact that nobody thought that this was important to mention. So I guess I am taking on the cause -- perhaps you can join me in my campaign to keep people on the sidewalks. (Why won't you stay on the sidewalk, out of harms way?!?!?!?!?)
I love reading this. It really is "Tasha on the loose." You are just the same, but in Guata. It reminds me to be more observant of my SF life because boy, there are some weirdos running these streets.
ReplyDeleteFunny in a sick sort of horrifying way. If they guy tapped on my window with his stick and I hadn't seen him first I would probably have a heart attack on the spot.
ReplyDeleteTasha! I'm so glad I found the link to your blog again. I miss you! I love this post. One of my first memories of arriving in Guatemala was on the car ride from the airport to my friend's house. We were on the carretera and some guy was passed out with half his body in the road. His lower half! No one else seemed to even flinch and I still think about the state of his legs today.
ReplyDelete