Yes, that is right -- Central America here we come!
Finally an answer and something to start wrapping my head around...and we would have almost 6 months to prepare....best case scenario!!!
"Flag Day" -- a ceremony since the Foreign Service beginning of time, with again, a lot of waiting and anticipation. I, along with Craig's mom and aunt, were jammed into an old school gym. (Totally weird, gym mats and all -- apparently some people totally freak out, faint, cry, scream...holy sh*& what did we get ourselves into?!?!?)
We waited and waited (I am not sure if I will ever get used to this "waiting" thing) and finally in marched the Ambassador overseeing the ceremony, with two assistants holding trays of all the flags of all the places that all of sitting folks in this room would be sent to. (I had to have a cheat sheet, they do it all by flag -- and honestly I think I know maybe ten country's flags, forget knowing Sri Lanka or Bangladesh...and I wanted to know the moment they held that flag up where we would be going!)
Hours later, Craig's name had still not been called, my cute outfit was now wrinkled, I think my hair mangled, and I was totally sweating...good luck trying to be a fabulous Diplomat's wife....I was a mess and my stomach hurt so bad.....CALL HIS NAME!!!!
Only a few flags left, but Fiji was still up there, along with Korea and few others I could not decipher...
Craig Ferguson, Guatemala City!
What? Guatemala? Was that even on the list? What did we rank it? OMG, we know where we are going? WHAT DO WE DO NOW????
I honestly did not even remember that Guatemala was on the list, either did Craig, and I think our faces were priceless -- totally puzzled! But so happy -- yes, Guatemala was on there, we were excited about it, this is going to be fabulous! Somewhere in the last few weeks I had put myself on the beach in Fiji and prepared myself for dodging bullets in the drug wars of Mexico, and I forgot about EVERYTHING in between!
Finally, we knew where were going, an amazing first post, not too scary, not too far from our loved ones, totally exciting, and maybe I could have a pet monkey...I can't wait!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment