Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Beautiful Antigua!

Antigua, not the island made famous by Hollywood honeymooners, but the old colonial city, original capital (100 years ago) of Guatemala...gorgeous! (Can't wait to take visitors here...hint, hint!)

Only 45 minutes outside of Guatemala City, but an absolute world away. Slow, relaxing, cobbestone streets, filled with artisans, and above all, safe. (I think this may be the first time I felt comfortable putting my guard down while out and about.)

We went for brunch to the fabled Santo Domingo Hotel -- which was originally a convent in the 1700's...so beautiful. We ate our faces off and wondered around...

My favorite -- nuns with mustaches:

My other favorite -- all the old religious relics without hands. Apparently way back when there was a disastrous earthquake and everything in the grand capital was looted. But the looters decided to mainly only steal the hands of all the statues. Apprently that is where all the healing/religious power lies. (Monica -- is this true?!?!?!) Anyway -- totally interesting and really bizarre:

I loved all the old structures, the original town square, all against the volcano backdrop -- amazing (and lots of cute shops tucked away in all the old courtyards):

But by the far the highlight of the day was the ride in the tuk-tuk. For some reason, just like in Asia, they call the little mopeds, disguised as taxis, the same thing. And these are for sure clown cars -- I saw 8 people pile of out one little thing that could barely hold Craig and I! Anyway, I have never driven so fast across cobblestones in a tarp covered automobile type thing -- it was fabulous. Here is a pic and a silly video that is a bit too long but certainly captures the outrageous ride:



2 comments:

  1. It looks like you're having so much fun and I LOVE the Russian photo! The stealing of the relics' hands sounds about right too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG the Dean Michaels finger-mustache is out in full force! Love it. Miss you guys! Katie O.

    ReplyDelete