Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Getting out of the city...

Since we have been here my world has consisted of the few block radius around our hotel, car rides chauffeured by our realtor, and a trip or two the grocery store -- very exciting right?!?!?!?

Well we finally had a chance to bust out -- and this place is AMAZING!

So far my favorite things are the locals in their native dress and all the colorful fruits and veggies. (Avocados are like 12 cents...yes, 12 cents.)
Don't you want a hat like that?!?!?!?

Anyway, we got to get out of the city because Craig had a work event up near Lake Atitlan -- a lake formed from a collapsed volcano -- how cool right?!?!? (Don't we look superimposed?!?!?)


The volcanos around here are still active, but not very dangerous -- when you come to visit I might drag you on a hike because I am dying to check it out! Anyway, the Ambassador invited me along as well, so I of course jumped at the chance to get to know him and see more than the gritty sidewalks of Guatemala City...

Of course we had to leave at 6AM, and of course we got to sit in the very back of the Suburban -- hello Ambassador, I am so sorry that I just vomited on the back of your head, these turns around the CLIFFS are making me a bit nauseous! Okay -- I didn't really throw up on the Ambassador, but there was a moment when I wasn't sure what might happen...can you imagine?So mortifying!

Also I am finally realizing that it is normal to feel like you are going to die every time you get in a car -- the chicken buses do not mess around and one came right at us trying to pass another car...it is absolutely amazing! (And I have seen only one, yes, ONE stoplight in the entire city -- it is the craziest thing I have ever been a part of. Lawless driving, a total free for all, and scary as sh%$ trying to cross the street as a pedestrian.)

Here is a (not very good) pic of the buses (will try to get a better one) -- they are super old and mainly from the US -- they no longer meet our security standards so they send them here -- unbelievable -- and the main source of transportation for most Guatemalans. (Someone told me the other day that only 3% of Guatemalans own cars. And the ones that do only go for the best -- everywhere you look you see BMW's, Range Rovers and Mercedes. Everyone here is either super rich or super poor, no in between.) Anyway, the buses are super scary, but totally tricked out and almost beautiful...can you see the flames, eagles and chrome?!?!?!?!

Anyway back to the trip -- Craig had to attend a graduation ceremony -- which sounds sort of dumb, but was actually really incredible. The folks graduating were not only the first people in their families to graduate from college, but in most cases the first person from their entire village and all the surrounding ones as well.

In not such surprising news -- I totally cried my eyes out. I am such a weirdo, but I was so proud of these kids and really moved by how many people, of no means, trekked for miles to celebrate this occasion. I of course could not understand a single word they were saying during the ceremony and have of course never met any of these people, and will probably never cross paths with them again, and here I am totally tearing up!

But honestly so wonderful and really makes you think about all the stuff you take for granted.

(Ridiculous side note -- the Ambassador had to leave early, but he wanted us to stay for the luncheon, so they just sent up a new car for us. A three hour drive each way, and they just sent another driver like it was no problem! Below is our driver Raul -- amazing.)

(Molly if you are reading this -- every time I wear this skirt I think of you! xoxoxoxo)

1 comment:

  1. Forget the hats--I want a shirt like that!! Keep the posts and pics coming--I love hearing about it all. Tonight is the Corinthian Holiday Party--I will have to send you pics later. Hugs and kisses to you and Craig!! : )

    ReplyDelete