Sunday, February 13, 2011

Tennis balls and leprechauns...

There truly is hardly ever a dull moment in our lives out here....

Case in point:

The other day while sitting in a taxi, in the middle of the day, in crazy, crazy bumper to bumper Friday payday Guatemala traffic, yapping away with a girlfriend.....something slammed against my window, right beside my head, with the loudest, most jarring, scary thump you can imagine.

Needless to say my stomach dropped, my heart started racing, and I think I may have broken out in a sweat and let out a little scream. I fully expected to turn my head and see a very scary person shaking some sort of weapon in my face, wanting all of our belongings. Sadly a frequent occurrence out here, one I have mentally prepared myself for time and time again, and exactly why we take such great caution every time we step out. Ugh.

But to my great surprise, when I finally summoned the courage to turn around, all I saw was a lunatic leprechaun of a homeless man, with a crazy lion's mane of hair, shoeless, toothless, jumping up and down, head thrown back, laughing wildly....and wielding a neon yellow tennis ball!

Yes, this crazy man, for his great personal pleasure and entertainment, was launching tennis balls at people's heads as they stood, innocently in traffic. Then laughing hysterically as he saw their reactions. Apparently mine was a double legged jump, arms flapping up down, funny.

You cannot even make this madness up if you tried. And it definitely took me a moment to actually register what had just happened. But when I finally figured out what had just taken place I laughed so hard I cried...I mean one of those very good, body shaking, mascara running down your face, until your sides hurt, laugh. But I will not lie, I am totally traumatized and still cannot figure out if I was more amused or horrified. This is obviously a story for the books, but one I hope never to repeat. WTF?!?!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment