Sunday, March 6, 2011

Supply and demand....

I am obviously super spoiled and have yet to wrap my head around the workings of a third world country....but something I can simple not figure out for the life of me is why, if a product is popular and sells out, you don't keep supplying it? Guatemala....your businesses will thrive, I promise.

What is it that I am searching for this time around you ask?!?!? Dishwasher detergent, plain and simple. We have been searching for weeks, I swear, weeks...and no one is currently selling it. Nobody. Is there a country wide ban? Is it a revolt? I have no idea, but it seems crazy to me.

And I know I must just sound so terrible even talking about this. Don't I have more going on in my life to occupy my thoughts? I mean we live such a ridiculous life and there are obviously way bigger problems going on out here. And even worst, most Guatemalans are living below any line of poverty we can even begin to imagine, calling the local shanty town, corrugated tin shack without running water and dirt floors, their home...going without dishwasher detergent is obviously not even relevant, for sure not a deal breaker, doesn't even register.

But it always seems to be the small things for me that put me in a tailspin, totally make me unravel. I want to so badly hold on to the normal, everyday things that usually make my world go round...and when something runs out, I want to be able to replace it without having to think about it. Oh so much I have to learn....poco a poco.

So yes, I am totally embarrassed to even be sort of consumed by this...but wait, it gets better....we have resorted to using powdered laundry detergent. Yes, you read that correctly, we have lost our minds or have gotten really creative...I am not sure which. I mean we are obviously capable of washing everything by hand, but it just does not get that sparkle, that really clean, clean, I am going for...you know what I am talking about, right or am I nuts?!?!?

So problem solved....well sort of. There have been no episodes of soap bubbles shooting out of the machine turning our kitchen into a foam party circa 1995 spring break in Mazatlan....but I mean we are washing our dishes with Tide. So take this as your warning....if you come to our house and your fork tastes like Mountain Fresh Breezes....its because it does. But that is the taste of clean...because if it has to be clean...it has to be Tide!

Please grocery store, restock. I am losing it.


2 comments:

  1. We had the same thing happen in Manila (surprise!). I think we were in one of two complexes in the whole country that even had a dishwasher. I ended up making my own soap. I used almost all baking soda and then a tiny tiny drop of dish soap. Never had a foam problem, dishes came out clean and all was well. Try it out unless of course you like your spoon smelling Downey fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughted out loud in my office when I read this "Yes, you read that correctly, we have lost our minds or have gotten really creative...I am not sure which." Classic Tasha and Craig...I love it!

    ReplyDelete