Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New Year's Resolutions...

I am showing 2011 who is boss.


I usually refrain from New Year's resolutions. If you're not doing it the rest of the year, why now do you think you can stick with it?!?!? In fact, I hate the gym this time of year....it is packed, everyone promising themselves that this will be the year they get in shape, forget about trying to get a machine. And then it never fails, 2 weeks later, everyone has cleared out, any machine you want, it is all yours. So again I ask, why make them, why set yourself up for failure?

But this year I feel a little differently about the whole thing. First, we leave Guatemala in less than a year and I already feel panicked about not seeing and doing everything we want to....so I feel this crazy need to make a Guate "to-do" list. The clock is ticking.

And obviously having less than a year left means we have been here over a year...which is incredible, but I still think that we are some sort of permanent vacation. Which is actually pretty fun, right?!?!? Well it is, but not when it comes to eating. I have a totally different mentality when it comes to eating while on vaca....nothing is off limits and of course you can have desert with every meal. This is fine when you really are on vacation and then you return to your normal routines, not when you live every single day like this. Such bad news. And if we are going to do this FS thing for the long haul I better get myself together. I don't even want to imagine what the consequences would be. Ugh.

Which leads me to my next idea for 2011....I want to cook more. I actually love and do cook a lot, but it comes and goes in waves. I have the great pleasure of being married to an incredible chef, so when I don't want to cook we aren't eating cereal for dinner, but still, I want to get more jazzed about the whole thing and make it more of a reoccurring occurrence. Not to mention I love cooking magazines and reading about food so have recipe upon recipe that I have been dying to try....so neatly organized and tucked away, never looked at again. And I have no real excuse, I have more time than I have ever had before. I don't know what I do with this time....but I am going to start dedicating it more towards the kitchen! And....only buying fruits and veggies from the local market. It is so much easier to buy everything at the grocery store, but the local market is amazing, helps the local farmers, will force me to use more of my Spanish, ugh, and is just all around better.

So there you have it, quite a bit for someone that doesn't believe in New Year's resolutions...but perhaps it is time I did! Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment