I only have two observations that I want to share today...but I think they will blow you away:
1) While driving along, on a very normal stretch of highway, making our way to Antigua (a very civilized, beautiful, old colonial city) what do we see on the roof of a car zooming by us? You will never guess in a million years...never!
A DEAD BODY!!!! Yes, a real live human, partly wrapped in a blue tarp, tied to the roof of a station wagon!
And I think the worst part of it all.....he/she had on red shoes that sort of looked liked Crocs. Crocs! OMG....you cannot make this stuff up!
Hands down one of the more horrifying things I have ever seen.
And I probably shouldn't joke about this.....but totally made we think of that scene in the original National Lampoon's Vacation movie (which I love)...when the old aunt dies and they strap her to the roof of the car because they don't know what else to do!


I have no idea what the folks I saw were thinking....but I guess desperate times do sometimes call for desperate measures! AHHHHH!
2) Nothing will ever top the dead body, ever, but in close second of great things, and when I say great I mean, horrendous and super bizarre, I did not just see that....a man driving a right sided steering wheel car...you know like the ones they drive in England because they drive on the other side of the road and everything is oriented to the other side. You know when you need to be seeing what is going on, on the other side of the road! Seriously?!?!?!
And the only reason I even noticed that this was going on was because this idiot almost plowed right into me, because you know, when your steering wheel is on the wrong side, you can't really tell what is going on on the proper side of the road! It was absolutely amazing....I was at a genuine loss of words.
Isn't it fun when there are no rules?!?!? You can do whatever you want!!!!
As I like to say...never a dull moment Guatemala, never a dull moment!
This post had me laughing first thing this morning! I loved being in Guatemala. Guatemala is Guatemala...and chicken buses are an experience not to be missed :-) I've got some great Guatemala postings on our blog under 2004.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite places are Semuc Champey and Antigua for Semana Santa, hope you will see both!
Thanks for sharing your crazy experiences on the road :-)
~Bethany