Sunday, November 29, 2009

Fitting in!?!?

Maybe before I open my mouth! I have gotten Spanish, French and Italian -- which makes me sort of happy. They def. think Craig is latin -- must be the hair -- so this is all working to our advantage...until I can't say anything or understand anything.

I know ZERO spanish and silly me really thought I could charm my way through with a few words here and there -- not the case. I cannot read any menus, I cannot talk to anybody -- I cannot do anything! I did miraculously buy a cell phone -- god only knows how many minutes I have or how to use it, but I did accomplish something! Next week -- enrolling in some sort of class so I don't feel like a total idiot!

But great story about looking like we fit in...we needed more passport photos for some administrative things and we were sent next door to the embassy where we were told we could get this done. Turns out there are lots of business buildings next to the embassy...so we asked the door man at one of them where we could get our photos taken -- nodded warmly and escorted us up to the penthouse. We thought this was normal, I don't know why, but why wouldn't a photoshop be in the penthouse?!?!?!? Well the doors opened to techno music, strobe lights and a red carpet with the most gorgeous people I have ever seen in gowns and tuxes, all wanting to give us their goodie bags and pose in pictures with us -- turns out we stumbled upon some sort of PR event with all the day time celebs...we didn't know what to do except creep out as quickly as possible. Craig wishes he had a pack of Mentos -- if so he would have totally taken his pic with those folks! We totally froze.

Great story number two of the week -- I was really brave and ventured out on my own to figure out our neighborhood and find some local treasures. I decided to go through this open mall area where a bunch of people were outside eating to see what that place had in store and as soon as I made it to the middle of the walkway, everyone around me got up and started cheering! Yay -- the stupid american figured out how to cross the street -- I was mortified and had no idea why people were even paying attention to me -- well it turns out, I was just a little full of myself -- nobody cared about me -- there were big screens behind me and the home soccer team just scored! I got over myself quite quickly and once again scurried off as fast as possible. I am so embarrassing!

And I am sure there are more stories to come...

1 comment:

  1. I love these stories already! I am so glad that you are sharing them with us!

    ReplyDelete